Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep.The five months old boys were discovered not breathing at their home by police  although third triplet brother survived.Ambulance crews were called to the private rented home in Wildmill, Bridgend, South Wales, at 10.05am after a 999 call.The triplets moved in with their young single mother after their birth in April but were due to move out as the privately owned house in a block of four has been sold.

The two triplets were pronounced dead later at Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.Police say their death is being treated as a ‘tragic accident’ although no further details were being released.A neighbour told ‘It is a terrible tragedy. The young girl was a single parent and had only been in there a short time.’She was often seen wheeling the triplets around estate they were all boys and she doted on them.’I saw them come out and it was a terrible sight.’It is all  more sad because they were due to move out in a matter of weeks because the house has been sold by the landlord.’Police would not comment on the theory that they were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning from a heating system in house.

A South Wales Police spokesman told ‘At 10.05am emergency services attended an address in the Wildmill area of Bridgend to a report of 2 young children, 2 of triplets, who were found not breathing.’The five month old children were conveyed to hospital where tragically they were later pronounced deceased.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide is known as  ‘silent killer’ because it is a poisonous gas with no smell or taste.Every year in UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths.After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin.When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to fail and die.’There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding  deaths which are being treated as a tragic accident.’Officers were not releasing other details of the tragedy as the family were being comforted over two deaths.Police would not comment on the reports of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning but a source confirmed more tests are expected.

A police source told ‘This is a particularly sensitive incident, which is still ongoing.’

The South Wales Fire Service declined to comment on their role in the tragedy.Police did not identify the family and asked for help to protecting their privacy of  family.A Home Office pathologist has been called in to carry out a post mortem examination on the two babies.A file is due to be prepared for Glamorgan coroner Andrew Barkley and an inquest is expected to be opened next week.The Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed they sent three emergency ambulances to scene as well as one ambulance car.The Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) Cymru air ambulance was called but ambulances had already left the scene by  time they arrived.Doctors onboard instead went straight to Princess of Wales Hospital.

Rate this