Issac Harper’s twin sister cried softly as she stood in street in her socks. “Nothing will ever be OK again” she said to a group of family members huddled outside a crime scene on Far South Side late Tuesday. Woman then sat in a car as police went inside a 2 story brick home to investigate her brother’s fatal shooting on back porch. She rocked back and forth and stared straight ahead. Harper 21 years old was with his sister outside, smoking a cigarette, in Longwood Manor neighborhood just before 9:40 Pm when gunfire erupted. The college student and Amazon employee was hit in shoulder, leg and hip. He was pronounced dead on scene, one of 11 people shot across city on Tuesday. Police earlier said Harper was shot at 11:40 Pm. Harper’s aunt, a Chicago police officer who was on duty during shooting, was among about a dozen family members who flocked to scene in 9700 block of South Green Street. She works in the neighboring Calumet police district and heard dispatcher announce shooting. Recognizing the address, officer rushed over. She put a large sports jersey over her blue patrol uniform, which still peeked out. “He was a good kid” said officer, who did not give her name or comment further.

A crisis counselor stood nearby to offer support to Harper’s family. Harper was taking online classes to earn a college degree and worked stocking shelves for Amazon. Harper recently got a new apartment and moved there, told Bruce Jordan Sr. “He was trying to do something with his life” Jordan Sr told. Jordan Sr’s family adopted Harper when he was about 6 months old. He grew up with them in Gresham neighborhood on South Side, told Bruce Jordan Jr, 35 years old. “He was a fun-spirited person. I don’t know why this would happen” added Jordan Jr. Harper was studying criminal justice and earning good grades, told a friend Ericka Evans. About an hour after shooting, a man walked toward family members and fell to his knees. A woman rubbed his back until he stood up. Family members hugged each other in a circle, swaying and wiped away tears. Harper’s aunt, police officer, tried to soothe her relatives and explain the process ahead of them. She urged them to go home before Harper’s body was removed from porch, telling it was not a sight they needed. She went inside home with other police officers. Harper’s father wanted to know “How did his face look? Was he smiling?” Yes, she assured him. Harper looked peaceful.

Rate this