A new electric vehicle was completely destroyed this morning when an electrical fault caused it to catch fire. The 2017 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive vehicle had been left charging overnight outside anoffice, which was damaged by smoke from the fire, at the Rettendon Turnpike junction in Wickford, Essex. Two fire crews fought to extinguish the blaze, which hit temperatures of 300 degrees Celsius, in early hours of this morning.

Officers also had to ventilate the office block to bring the situation under control. Photos of vehicle, which has a 17,6kWh battery, show its gutted body and the melted remains of the lithium ion battery pack. A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service told ‘An electric car which was left on charge outside an office building has been 100 per cent destroyed and caused smoke damage to a building after catching alight.’


‘Crews were called to reports of a car fire this morning outside an office building. On arrival firefighters reported that the car was 100 per cent alight and that the building it was parked outside was becoming smoke-logged as a result.’

Crews from Rayleigh Weir and South Woodham Ferrers attended the blaze. The spokesman said ‘By 6.25am firefighters had extinguish the fire, ventilated the building and ensured that the scene was safe. The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, and was due to an electrical fault.’

Back in April, a Tesla owner demanded $1million after the Falcon Wing doors of her Model X ‘wouldn’t open’ during crash. Owner Lee Tada claimed she and her boyfriend were sitting in the back and had to escape out of the front doors moments before the vehicle burst into flames. But representatives of electric car makers in China said the company would not pay out and that the couple’s lives were not in danger.

Rate this