Social media support from Eminem has helped raise £2 million in donations for the victims of Manchester terror attack. The US star, real name Marshall Mathers, tweeted his fans after the attack at Manchester’s MEN Arena last Monday to urge them to donate to a JustGiving page set up to help families of the 22 people killed and those who were injured. Eminem, who is notoriously quiet on social medial, posted a rare message on Twitter which has helped donations to soar to over £1.8 million so far, with the page setting a target of 2 million. Alongside other celebrities such as Justin Timberlake, who have tweeted links to the page, Eminem threw his support behind the fund set up by the Manchester Evening News and the British Red Cross on Thursday. Eminem, who has 20 million Twitter followers, personally gave an undisclosed donation. He said his followers ‘Join me in helping Manchester victims & their families, Make a donation to the @BritishRedCross and @MENnewsdesk.’
Manchester City Council thanked the star in a tweet, alongside thousands of fans who posted screenshots of their donations.
Actor Tom Hardy has launched a JustGiving page to raise money for the victims of the terror attack, which he calls ‘cruel, cowardly and barbaric.’ The 39 years old actor has set up a fund to raise money for the British Red Cross, in order to support the victims and their families of the tragic bombing and has already raised over £34,000. In a heartfelt post on the page, the Peaky Blinders star urges fans to donate ‘as a gesture of goodwill and love’ following the ‘inconceivable atrocity’ that took place at the Manchester Arena, following Ariana Grande’s concert on Monday. Devastated by the bombing, which left 22 dead and about 119 injured, the RocknRolla star penned a lengthy message to his followers on the site, which saw him vent his disgust at the act and urge fans to help those ‘beginning a new life without those they love’. He started ‘I am hoping to raise money for The British Red Cross Society because the families and children will need support.’
Reflecting on the tragedy, he said ‘What happened at the AG concert in Manchester was a tragedy, families and children attacked and murdered; in a place where they should be safe and enjoying a concert, it is an inconceivable atrocity. There is no bringing back those who have been lost, pointlessly, in such a cowardly and brutal fashion. I am truly saddened by what I have witnessed and there is no doubt that Terrorism is an evil thing. I hope that between us we can raise some funds as a gesture of goodwill and love to help in some small way towards repairing some if any of the damage done…’
After expressing his devastation, he then went on to address support the surviving victims and devastated families of those lost will now need. Tom adedd ‘There will be much to do and for many the beginning of a new life without those that they love and also a new life damaged irrevocably by the actions of a crime which has no reason, no heartfelt purpose but was simply a cruel cowardly and barbaric, meaningless act of violence.’ Tom finished his post by urging his fans to donate what they can to the cause, in order to fight against the ‘unacceptable’ act. Confirming fund as genuine, he then assured fans at the bottom that their money will go straight to the cause, both saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
Tom joins many showing an outpouring of support following horrific attack. Fans had been leaving the Manchester Arena on Monday when a terrorist detonated a bomb outside the exit, killing 22, including the bomber and injuring 119. Chilling video footage sees panicked gig-goers screaming and fleeing for exit, after hearing the sound of the explosion ripping through the venue’s lobby. Many of victims were teens and children, having headed to the venue to watch pop star Ariana Grande perform. The 23 years old, who had just finished her set when the bomb was set off, has since cancelled the rest of her tour in wake of the tragedy and promised to return to the city for a tribute concert.